The textbook and certification course are split into two units.
The first half of the textbook covers the science of nutrition. The second half teaches you how to effectively coach nutrition with others, including advanced nutrition coaching, coaching athletes, behavior change, and motivational interviewing.
Here are sample topics from Unit 1:
- How and why your cells work the way they do
- How carbohydrates, fats, vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients interact with your cells
- How food becomes energy for maintenance functions, physical work, and repair
- How your body balances out the food you eat with the work it does
- How exercise affects nutritional needs and how nutrition affects exercise
Here are sample topics from Unit 2:
- What it means to be a good coach
- How to prepare for clients or patients
- How to interact with different clients or patients
- How to assess clients or patients
- How to know which approaches are best for which clients / patients
- How to meet people where they are (not where you want them to be)
- How to keep people progressing from day one until they reach their goals